Friday, March 23, 2012

The Ruby the Hamster Memorial Ruby Ring



As good a reason as any to indulge my passion for antique rings. Ruby was named by my son, so called because I'd just started collecting when we got her. Thought a nice ruby ring would be the prefect memorial to her so took me off to the local antique mall and lo, there it was, the most beautiful solitaire ruby. But, at the kind of price you really need to step back from for a couple of days so I tore myself away and went into town. Dropped in on my favourite jewellery repairer and vendor of lovely second hand rings. I now embarassingly qualify as one of his special ladies who gets his special discount, I've spent so much in there. So I mentioned in passing I was looking for a nice ruby and he said, I have just the one. Rushed upstairs and came down with this pretty little edwardian ruby and emerald ring he's had for months and couldn't decide what to do with. Do you believe in fate? he says. Well, when it comes to that special ring, of course I do, LOL. He sold it me for the scrap gold value, an absolute bargain and one I couldn't resist. The other was an expensive, statement piece, this one is so hamster....small and dainty, but with presence and so pretty.

I'm having her name engraved inside it, which is a nice thing to do, I think. Hubby cracked me up when I bought it home. I think it was hysterical relief that I'd only spent £35 rather than £350. It's a memorial ring for Ruby, I says. He looks at me and says, deadpan. So, what's your next hamster going to be called...diamond and platinum? Diamond? What a great name for a hamster.... Now to rename the cats, Emerald and Tanzanite. This could be a trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment